Here is a list of things that I know need to be done and, if possible, who is currently working on them.
TODO for 0.13.X release: -- do doxygen output
TODO for 0.10.X release:
- Integrate XML output for dumpSmbios binary. Patch submitted already.
- status 01/13/2006: patch integrated for a couple months, but put in unofficial dumpSmbios_IPS binary because I think the output and API will change a bit.
- Password decoding for 0xD5/0xD6 tokens
Other Misc TODO (medium term):
- DFCT: OEM systems -- workarounds do not work due to Sys ID problem
- DFCT: Windows memory interface (using the GetSystemFirmwareTable() interface) is buggy. It doesn't have proper bounds checks and doesn't throw proper exception for unhandled mem access.
- update: 2005/08/24 -- This is no longer the default access method, so this defect is less important now.
- BIOS conformance tester (underway: Michael Brown)
- Tester that points out missing XML entries for SMBIOS Table and CMOS Table.
- XML for CMOS Tokens (Michael Brown)
- Python language bindings (Michael Brown)
- BIOS workarounds improvements:
- generate workarounds from an XML file at compile time.
- runtime addition of new workarounds
- Ensure all exceptions throw an appropriate string or integer.
There are a few more things that this can become, after the list above is taken care of. Here is the wish-list so far:
- C Language bindings and naming conventions (???)
- $PIR table
- MP table
- RCI table
- RBU table
- Dell SMI + kernel drivers (DONE! Yay! 2005-09-15.)
- (COMPLETE 2005/12/??) (Michael Brown, Matt Domsch)
- fix dell_rbu driver crash
- bootstrap script
- inventory script
- (COMPLETE 2005/09/??) (Michael Brown)
- dell rbu integration
- tokenCtl binary
- probes binary
- (COMPLETE 2005/09/04) (Senthil OR) Patch from Senthil to add "checkSkipTest()" feature in unit tests. The testInput.xml can now specify unit tests which should not be run on a platform. Use this feature very sparingly. There is only one use right now, to skip a test known to fail on lattitude due to a BIOS bug.
- (COMPLETE 2005/09/04) (Michael Brown) Automatic library selection.
- Divided up the library build into 6 different libs for debug/no-debug, single/multi thread static, and single/multi thread DLL runtimes. Include system now automatically chooses library for clients to link to.
- (COMPLETE 2005/09/04) (Sean-Marc Castruita/Michael Brown) Integrate WMI code for windows to allow operation on win2000 on Dell 9G servers
- (COMPLETE 2005/09/03) (Michael Brown) Change smbios class heirarchy to use strategy code to obtain SMBIOS buffer, rather than inheritance. Streamlines addition of new methods to get the tables immensely.
- (COMPLETE 2005/09/02) (Michael Brown) service tag parsing for SMI call (0xFF removal.)
- (COMPLETE 2005/08/29) (Michael Brown) Property Ownership Tag get/set
- (COMPLETE 2005/08/29) (Michael Brown) Security Key for 0xDA tokens
- (COMPLETE 2005/08/22) (Tim Fettig) fix "smbios.xml" file. It is broken. The smbios23.xml is the only working one, but it is missing info that smbios.xml has.
- look at XML for ENUMs and BITFIELDs (David Schmidt)
- need api to get enum text. XML may need rearranging
- (COMPLETE x/y/z) (Michael Brown and David Schmidt) Dell functions (Michael Brown and David Schmidt) Here is the proposed "Dell" C/C++ API. Basically, I have just taken the list of things DSA currently does and put them here. We may need a few other functions when Disney gets around to looking at this.
Currently working on this...DTS 03/24/04 Status: Implemented most of the gets except for State byte and boot to up. Need to trim the strings as they return from smbios. Need to change unit tests to test for the entire length, including whitespace.
get/setServiceTag() -- get or set Service Tag (5 or 7 char tag)
get/setAssetTag() -- get or set Asset Tag
getSystemName() -- returns string with system name
getBiosVersion() -- returns string with BIOS version
getSystemType() -- std 6 char PEnnnn name.
getVendorName() -- Dell or OEM vendor
getBootToUP() / setBootToUP() -- sets BIOS boot-to-UP flag
getStateByte1() / setStateByte1() -- BIOS NVRAM state byte
getStateByte2() / setStateByte2() -- BIOS NVRAM state byte
- (COMPLETE 2005/05/03) (Michael Brown) DFCT: Windows 2003 SP1 and SMBIOS in high memory will not work -- fixed SP1 to use GetSystemFirmwareTable API to get SMBIOS table, rather than go directly to memory, which is no longer supported.
- (COMPLETE 2004/04/08) (Michael Brown) De-cache and Refresh API for SMBIOS table.
- Basically need a way to tell the library to refresh info from memory. Current systems all have a static SMBIOS table that is not changed after boot. New systems will dynamically update SMBIOS table at runtime through SMI calls.
- (COMPLETE 2004/04/01) (Jayasri Sangu) need to write function that checks the checksum of the header (Jayasri Sangu)
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/28) (Michael Brown) look at exceptions. Most of our exceptions should take a descriptive string. Make sure every place that throws an exception throws a good exception. We need to implement a parent IException class that accepts an error code and an optional message string. (Herb Hollinger and David Schmidt)
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/26) (Herb Hollinger) CMOS access on windows (Herb Hollinger)
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/24) (David Schmidt) Add test data for each platform that we currently have in-tree memdumps for. (system id, service tag, asset tag, etc.)
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/22) (Michael Brown) Workarounds framework for BIOS errors (Michael Brown)
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/14) (Herb Hollinger) Windows now parses SMBIOS table from Memory directly from userspace using NT DDK calls.
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/19) (David Schmidt) GetID from Std SMBIOS table (id and rev table). (David Schmidt)
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/16) (Michael Brown w/ additional work by David Schmidt)
- getSystemID() -- returns word with one or two byte system ID
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/15) (Herb Hollinger) build on Windows (x86/x86-64/ia64) (Herb Hollinger)
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/15) (Michael Brown) automatic unit test generator from descriptive text file. (Abhay's idea.)
- text file contains platform name, dump data file names, and ID, system name, etc.
- program automatically generates new PLATFORM.cc test file
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/07) (Michael Brown) parameterize unit tests, so that they can take as an arg where unit test data files reside
- (COMPLETE 2004/03/06) (Michael Brown) convert most of the objects to singletons, if appropriate (Michael Brown)
- Free users from having to allocate or de-allocate any memory to use this lib.
- (COMPLETE 3/06/04) (Michael Brown) ability to compile in XML so runtime doesn't need extra files, but still be able to override the built-in XML at runtime with an updated file.
- (COMPLETE 2/29/04) RPM spec file (Michael Brown)
- (COMPLETE 2/28/04) general build improvements. (Michael Brown) we should be able to cut down on the size of most of the makefiles
- (COMPLETE 2/26/04)
- bitfield manipulation getBitfield(int) (David Schmidt)
- bitfield from XML getBitfield(string) (David Schmidt)
Generated on Wed Apr 11 16:25:11 2007 for SMBIOS Library by