GRUB error 17 after kernel update
Systems Affected: Inspiron E1505n, Dimension E520n, XPS 410n
Description: When booting a system up after a kernel upgrade, the following error message maybe displayed on your screen:
"GRUB error #17 cannot mount selected partition"
Impact: Unable to boot system after kernel upgrade
- Reboot the system.
- At the 3 second countdown before the Ubuntu splash screen press ESC. The grub menu will come up.
- The first entry will be highlighted. Press e to edit the entry.
- The root (hd0,0) line will be highlighted. Press e to edit that line.
- The grub edit> prompt will come up, with root (hd0,0) already entered. Change it to read root (hd0,2) and press Enter. This will take you back to the previous screen.
- Press b. The system will boot normally.
Fix: Edit /boot/grub/menu.lst once you are booted and change all instances (even the ones that are commented out) of (hd0,0) to (hd0,2).
Note: This issue will reoccur if you restore the system to factory default settings.